About the Journal
Focus and Scope
The Journal of Transport and Land Use is the leading international journal that publishes original interdisciplinary papers on the interaction of transport and land use. The Editors welcome original submissions across the globe and from a wide range of domains, including engineering, planning, modeling, behavior, economics, geography, regional science, sociology, architecture and design, network science, and complex systems. Papers reporting ground-breaking contributions in the field of transport and land use, whether from an empirical, theoretical, methodological, or policy perspective, are especially encouraged.
As a means to engage with diverse audiences, JTLU accept papers of five submission types: Articles, Literature Reviews, Correspondence, Methods, and Viewpoints:
- Articles: report original data analysis and advance theory or methods (including applying methods in novel ways or to new questions). They are typically 4,000-10,000 words, but there is no specific word count.
- Literature Reviews: comprehensively and authoritatively describe any subject within the journal's scope. They have an educational aim and are typically 4,000-10,000 words, but there is no specific word count.
- Correspondence (Short Empirical Articles): briefly document original data analysis (generally using established methods and testing previously proposed theories), generally under 2,000 words.
- Methods (Short Method Articles): present a new experimental or statistical method, test or procedure (e.g., GIS protocols or web interfaces), generally using established datasets. The method described may either be completely new or may improve existing techniques. These are generally under 2,000 words.
- Viewpoints (Commentaries, Debates, Discussions, and Book Reviews): Present an argument that is not necessarily based on practical research, including commenting on previously published papers, reviewing recently published books, and debate articles including theoretical, sociological and ethical aspects. These are generally about 1,000 words.
The Journal of Transport and Land Use is published on an ongoing basis.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
The Journal is open access and online-only, but there are publication costs. Members of the World Society for Transport and Land Use Research (WSTLUR) whose papers are accepted for publication are not charged for editing and layout for one paper during each membership term. Non-WSTLUR members will be charged $1,000 per paper for editing and layout. The editors encourage all authors to seek funds to support publication of their accepted papers if possible. See this list of Open Access Journal Funds for potential sources. JTLU will waive or reduce the payment required of authors who cannot pay the full amount charged for publication. Decisions to publish are only based on editorial criteria. This journal does not charge for the submission of papers.
The publication of JTLU is made possible by support from the Center for Transportation Studies at the University of Minnesota and the World Society of Transport and Land Use Research (WSTLUR).